Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Here's to you, Los Angeles

Well, by this point you already know...the Lakers' season has come to an end. It was a disappointing way to finish the season; I guess anything less than perfection would be a disappointment to true fans like us.

I'll still applaud Los Angeles' efforts and their adherence to their character and unique style of play. I was never surprised by how they played--neither when they shined nor when they stunk. They're the Lakers I know, and that in itself, gives me a certain welcoming comfort.

We can sit here and argue about which team is better, and who made better trades, and who has a better shot, and anything else you can think of. But hey, it's already said and done. The Lakers came two games short of winning a title, and they'll have to wait til next year for another shot.

What I'd like to do is to share with you an observation I made about fanhood. Okay, well, for a little background, I'm a Los Angeles native, who moved to New York earlier this year. I was in high school for the Lakers three-peat, in college for the emergence of Kobe, and in Korea for the reloading phase. Well, I've been hitting up the same sports bar in NYC to
catch the Lakers games this season, and I usually get a pretty good crowd of friends to join me--some of them Lakers fans, some of them just buddies of mine.

Alright, well Game 6 was a must win for Los Angeles. This was, for all intents and purposes, the most important game of the year for the Lakers. So, as per my usual, I invited all of my buddies to watch the game with me at our watering hole of choice. But unlike my usual, only a few people showed up this time.

Big up to my companion (you know who you are), M. Larson, JJ from Eagle Rock (Nicole too), and my favorite bartender. Y'all showed up and supported the cause. Thanks for pickin' up the slack when our personnel was low.


There's a difference between fellow fans and friends. Fans are great to watch a game with here and there, but when the dust settles and you're either cheering your face off or holding you face in you hands, I'd rather have my friends at my side anyday.

I've been a huge Lakers fan since I was a child. Since before Nick Van Exel was pushing officials around. This Lakers playoff blog was my first literary journey and I'm glad Los Angeles kept my experience alive so long. I'm proud of the Lakers, and I'm dedicating this blog to them, my friends, and to the readers.


Well, that's the final chapter of this volume. Another might turn up for U.S.A. Basketball and our Olympic conquest. We went undefeated last summer during FIBA Americas, and we're looking to repeat that feat for the world to see. Stay tuned.

This time around, we're gonna have to take the silk road to Olympic Gold. The Games start on 08/08/08 in Beijing; a place where Lakers Nation has already flown its flag. See below.


Lakers fans out there, hold your heads up high. We've come a long way from being bumped out of the playoffs in the first round by the Suns a year ago. We won a Western Conference Title, night after night we watched the best show on Earth, and we got to see Kobe win the MVP award. There's a lot to cheer about from this season, and next season will be another championship run.

Stay humble. Stay hungry.


Signing off for the last time in a long time,

Horus

No comments: